Today is the first day of the Fall Equinox. Like every year, the "City Slickers" from Chicago come out to all the pumpkin patches (farms) by my house. It's as if they have never seen a cow before by judging their reactions. I'm used to the smell of cow manure in the air and the traffic held up from a combine on the road. This is where I live and I wouldn't change it for anything...well except for maybe the mountains out West. Before we had investment bankers and professional athletes, farming was the main source of income in this Country. Later on, the Industrial Revolution improved farming practices at the turn of the century. I think this was the beginning of the end in many ways. I know..you can't stop progress and real state developers from coming in. Farmers make more money selling their land than the return on the crops. Machinery is expensive and weather conditions can be unfavorable. They work harder than anyone else. So the next time you want to drive out to "farm" country with your kids, take a good look around because that farm might not be there next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment