Al Jewer
Waswagoning.org
Al Jewer is a respected record producer, engineer, artist and composer, but most importantly a terrific flute player. As a studio musician for the last 20 years, his work in all genres of music reads like a quilt of musical styles. He has played Early Music, Classical, Folk, Jazz, Celtic, Reggae, Rock, Poetry Fusion and Experimental music. However, in 1986 he discovered the beauty of the Native American flute and its simple yet profound music. Through this experience Al has found his true musical voice.
In celebration of Native American Heritage Month, Aurora University held a dance event performed by the Waswagoning Dance Theatre Group. The dancers performed the grass dance, eagle dance and many more for the one hour event at the Crimi Auditorium. Al Jewer's solo flute performance entertained the audience before the dancing started. He also provided some of the background music for the readings during the "Spirit of the People".
It was great to go back to my old school to see this spectacular show in the new auditorium. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera so I am trying to get some pictures from the Schingoethe Center at AU. They have a great Native American museum on campus. The drummers did an excellent job during each dance routine. This makes up for all the Illinois Pow Wows that I missed this year. David, I loved this show...too bad you couldn't make it. Andrew and Jessica had a good time too.
I highly recommend the album, Two Trees.
Best-selling flutist Al Jewer and noted keyboardist Andy Mitran are joined by a family of critically-acclaimed guests.
Two Trees
Tuesday, November 6
"Spirit of the People"
Posted by
Dawn71
at
10:52 AM
Labels: performances
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment