Monday, October 8

The Holocaust

We just came home from our vacation in Alexandria, Virginia. Besides going to restaurants and strolling around the downtown area, we went to a few memorials in and around Alexandria. I’ve been to all the museums and memorials in Washington so one more wasn’t going to be a big deal. We chose to go to the Holocaust Memorial Museum. It was the first time for all four of us.

In the past, I heard the interviews with Elie Wiesel and watched the films about Auschwitz and other camps. But when you see the actual items used in the concentration camps, it hits you so hard. Very seldom do I cry so I didn’t come prepared with Kleenex. They had an actual handcart to transport bodies and castings of crematorium ovens on display. Everything was displayed with the utmost respect.

Andrew told me that his Grandma (Bobcia Hala) was right in Warsaw when it happened. She hid Jewish friends in her home and still raised a family during this time. The Germans left them alone because they weren’t Jewish. She took such a chance by doing this. Babcia witnessed a German solider kill a baby out on the street. My mother-in-law was only about three when this happened. My father-in-law lived on the Polish-Russian border and was forced to flee Poland by the Russians. They lost everything and he never saw his father again. Adolf was just ten.

Where was God in all of this? The only reason mankind is still here is that God restrains evil for reasons we don’t know. "All power corrupts, absolutely corrupts," said Mrs. Lindgren, my Junior High history teacher. Who am I to question God's infinite wisdom? It still doesn't answer my question-why did millions have to die?

Did you know that genocide is still happening right now in the Darfur region of Sudan? Over a million people have died already and it still continues…….
See here

First they came for the
socialists and I did not speak out
because I was not a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me,
and there was no one left
to speak for me.


Pastor Martin Niemöller

2 comments:

Will said...

Beautiful writing!! Questions give you answers, and Divine Questions will give you Divine Answers. Make sense?

Dawn71 said...

yes:)