Wednesday, October 31

No Relief for Sick Kids?

See Article

It's that time of the year when the chilly air ushers in the cold and flu season with a vengeance. Nothing is as pitiful as a sick child. As parents, we try to help them as much as we can. The article is about the recall on selected children's cold medicine due to overdoses and other misuse. The recall applies to all children over the age of 2 and under 6. Mainly, the ingredients are in question, according to this article. The experts say that cold medicines are not effective. In my area, there were seven reported infant deaths this past year. The cause of death for most of them was due to an overdose of cold medicine.

Since my daughter was six months old, I have used Children's Tylenol Fever Reducer and Cold(syrup form) for the few times she came down with a cold or tooth pain. The moment I gave her half the suggested dosage, I noticed considerable improvement. I understand that a cold takes time to get over but what's wrong with a little boost in the right direction? Parents should always contact a doctor before giving cold and flu medicine to their children. Maybe the Industry can change the dosage labeling on the bottles to make it easier to understand. Parents need to know if their kids have allergies to some of the ingredients. The Industry needs to make some changes and parents need to be educated. Don't take all the cold medicine away from the sick kids!

No comments: